1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
scant 1 cup chicken broth
2 slices bacon
1/2 lb lean ground beef
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon worcestershire sauce
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup chopped pickles
3 Tablespoons ketchup
1 to 2 Tablespoons mustard (optional)
2 eggs + 2 egg whites
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees then place 2 mini muffin tins (24 mini cups total) on top of a baking sheet and set aside. Whisk eggs and egg whites together in a small bowl then set aside.
2. Combine quinoa and chicken broth in a small saucepan then bring to a boil. Place a lid on top then lower heat and simmer until quinoa has absorbed all the broth and is tender, 10 minutes or so. Fluff then set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile add bacon to a medium-sized skillet over medium heat then cook until crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain then chop or crumble when cool enough to handle. Turn heat up to medium-high then add beef to bacon grease,
season with salt and pepper, and saute until cooked through. Drain beef then return to skillet and stir in Worcestershire sauce. Set aside to cool.
4. In a large bowl combine slightly cooled quinoa, beef, bacon, cheese, pickles, ketchup, mustard, eggs, salt, and pepper then stir until well combined. Spray mini muffin tins VERY well with nonstick spray then scoop mixture to the top of each
mini cup. Place back on top of baking sheet then bake for 15-20 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Let bites cool in the muffin tins for 5 minutes before running a knife around the outside edges and popping out.
5. To freeze: Place baked bites on a baking sheet then freeze until solid, and then transfer to a freezer bag. Microwave for 20-40 seconds on high to reheat.